Sunday, March 2, 2014

One last time at "The Rock"

Not the best picture, but a nice Rock Creek Lake crappie

I headed out to Rock Creek Lake one last time this weekend to meet up with a fellow ice angler really starting to get "bit" by the ice fishing bug.  The temps were in the single digits, and with the north wind, the windchill was well below -10 degrees.
I was the first to arrive at the lake, and hit a couple new areas, I try to do this each time out on a familiar lake, because you can never know your local lakes too well.  I caught a few smaller ones, but the new areas weren't impressive.  Now I know.
Jacy showed up and we quickly jumped to an area that I knew would be a good for some fish.  It didn't disappoint.  Crappies, bluegills, and a few bass showed themselves that morning.  All were a very welcome site for us.  We had settled into Jacy's shack, a roomy 2-man Clam Warrior shack.  A small heater kept us just right in the shack.  We had to change up colors several times, but finally figured that oranges, and chartreuse colors were the deal for the day.
It was a great morning to challenge Mother Nature, and being March 1st, you just never know how many more days on the ice you will get.  I was very pleased with the fish we caught and Jacy ended up with a nice mess for a family fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment